The Cape Breton Fiddlers Run is more than just a single event. Throughout the year, we organize Learn to Run Training Clinics, a June Fun Run, the Doctors’ Nova Scotia Youth Run in June, and our grand finale on October - the Cape Breton Fiddlers Run race weekend. Everyone is welcome to help, whether you're a seasoned runner, a beginning runner or walker, or someone with no experience at all - we encourage anyone who just wants to support this worthwhile organization.
We need eager, enthusiastic volunteers who can help make this event even more of a success and show everyone our legendary Cape Breton hospitality. Volunteering with the Fiddlers Run is a great way to support healthy living in Cape Breton, meet new people, add to your resume, and maybe even investigate whether running is for you.
Fiddlers 'Learn to Run' Coaches
Our Learn to Run Training Clinics are conducted on one evening a week over an 8-week period, commencing in April and ending with our Fun Run in early June. The running coaches will lead beginning runners through a "couch to 5k" progressing run/walk program. These clinics are conducted in a large group setting, with each coach leading a smaller group of beginners along a planned route. This is a wonderfully rewarding way to inspire others to catch the running bug!
- June – Fiddlers Fun Run
- June – Cape Breton Fiddlers Doctors Nova Scotia Youth Run
- October – Cape Breton Fiddlers Run Race weekend
These three events have similar volunteer requirements:
- Pre-Race Registration and Kit Pick Up - accepting and processing registration forms. Assist in dispensing runners’ kits, chip timers, etc.
- Venue Set Up – Assist in setting up signs, tables, expo set up
- Race Day Early Morning Course Set Up – Arrive bright and early to set up start/finish lines, and placement of cones, and mile markers along course. The upside to such an early start is you’re done and home before most of Cape Breton is even up!
- Water stops – The water stops are the most popular spots with runners along the course. Runners need that water and Gatorade you’ll be handing out. Keep the cups filled, pass them out and keep the water stop area tidy. The best part is you get to cheer and encourage the runners along!
- Course Marshals – Course Marshals are placed at intersections and turning points along the course. Your job is to direct runners so they stay on course. We ask all Course Marshals to smile, cheer and encourage runners as they pass your way!
- Finish Line – Assist runners by handing out medals, removing chip timers, handing out water bottles, enthusiastic cheering at finish and providing support to runners by escorting to medical if necessary.
- Nutrition - All our events have post race nutrition available. You will help set up the Nutrition area and serve the finishers.
- Pre-race Pasta meal – During the Saturday Expo we host a pasta meal for participants. Volunteers are needed as servers.
- Post Race Tear Down – Assist in breakdown of venue and course as race wraps up.
The Cape Breton Fiddlers Run can’t happen without the many wonderful volunteers we get to work with every year. Please join us!